Posted 31st October 2018
- Around 1,000 people are treated for firework-related injuries in the UK each year. Approximately 1,000 people require treatment for firework-related injuries, with five per cent being classed as 'serious accidents'.
- At family back garden displays sparklers cause more injuries than rockets, bangers, air bombs and Roman candles combined.
- Sparklers burn as hot as a blowtorch, they are HOT and I mean super-hot and they remain one of the most dangerous fireworks in terms of accident statistics simply because they are taken for granted.
- NHS statistics show that 4,506 people visited A&E from 2014-2015 for treatment of a firework-related injury. This is a huge 111% increase from the injuries reported in 2009-10.
- The most common injuries that occur on Bonfire Night gatherings are burns, debris in the eye from bonfires and fireworks, and smoke inhalation.
Tips to follow:
- Bonfires should be at least 18 metres (60 feet) from the house, trees, hedges and garden sheds
- Don’t use petrol paraffin or other flammable liquids, use a domestic firelighter instead.
- Buy fireworks from a legitimate retailer and make sure they have the BS7114 number on them.
- Be aware of elderly neighbours or those with young children. Some people can be frightened by fireworks.
- Not all fireworks are suitable for small gardens. Check instructions in the daylight carefully.
- Designate one person to be in charge of the fireworks and make sure everybody else stands behind a line.
- Light fireworks at arm’s length with a taper.
- Don’t go back to a lit firework.
- Don’t put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
- Keep fireworks in a metal box with the lid closed in-between use.
- Keep pets indoors.
Sparkler safety, not for children under the age of 5
- Do not hold a baby or child in your arms if you are holding a sparkler
- Supervise young children very carefully
- Sparklers should be held at arm’s length and should not be waved at other people nor should a child run while holding a sparkler. Children should wear gloves when holding sparklers
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing which may catch light easily
- Sparklers can stay hot for a while after they have gone out so put them into a bucket of water or into the soil
- Teach your children to drop sparklers to the ground as soon as they are finished or if your child becomes scared
Libben can provide you with top quality First Aid courses and Fire Safety/Fire Marshal courses too, help protect your loved ones today, call 0843 289 2201